Saturday, October 08, 2005

Don't mess with Mustafa

Mustafa is a name I've heard quite a bit since I've been here in Turkey. The founder of the republic's first name was Mustafa, and he is venerated throughout the country (he changed it to Ataturk, though, which means Father Turk).

I think Mustafa would be a cool name to have. It has a regal ring to it - it commands respect. A Mustafa is not to be trifled with: he would just as soon thrash you as say hello to you. But he is also magnanimous, and sees the good in everyone. If a Mustafa says something, people listen - if ever anyone questions what Mustafa says, someone just answers -- "well, that's what Mustafa says, so....." And they just shrug, because whatever Mustafa says, goes.

Maybe, if I ever have a kid, a boy, I can call him Mustafa. Little Mustafa McCluskey. If he grew up to be a boxer, they could call him the Irish Moose.


Don't worry, Mom, I'm kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home